Like any surgery, there are post-operative best practices to follow. Here is what our team suggests you do following any in-office procedures.
AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS FOR IN-OFFICE PROCEDURES
- Keep the incision completely dry for 24 hours. Once wet, gently pat dry over the incision, do not rub.
- A small amount of bleeding can be normal after your procedure. Hold gentle compression to the area until bleeding subsides. Sometimes it can bleed for up to 48 hours, especially if you are on aspirin or anticoagulants.
- Expect some bruising and swelling after your procedure. This is temporary and will resolve with time.
- If paper tape (steri-strips) was placed over your incision:
- Keep steri-strips on. No dressing changes are required.
- If steri-strips peel or lift off, trim the peeled off portion and leave the stuck on portion.
- If antibiotic ointment was applied to your incision:
- Re-apply a thin smear of ointment over the incision 2-3 times/day for 2 or 3 days.
- No dressings or bandages are needed.
- If it was necessary, you may have been given an oral antibiotic prescription. Take as directed
- Take Tylenol, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or Aleve as needed for pain after your procedure.
- Return to the clinic as scheduled for either suture removal or follow-up.